• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

woman's pregnancy leads to early cancer discovery

Snowbaby

Tears streamed down her cheeks as 43-year-old Christine Less of Lakeville talked about enduring cancer — and how her son saved her life.

In 1999, while four months pregnant with her son Karl Michael, Less went in for an ultrasound to determine her baby's gender. Doctors found a tumor, and diagnosed Less with bladder cancer.

"I can't believe I'm still crying," Less said. "I look at (my son's) face. He saved my life. He's my hero."

On Sunday, Less and her son will be among thousands walking in the sixth annual Champions Fighting Cancer Walk in Brockton.

The event is expected to draw 8,000 people and will raise money to benefit Brockton Hospital cancer programs and the Chrystine M. Sullivan Memorial Foundation.

Less, who was rediagnosed last April and underwent another surgery, said cancer has not stopped her.

More than 20 of her family and friends will be wearing T-shirts on Sunday that read "Team Christine. It's 5/01/05. Please keep us alive."

Last year, Less said, she raised more than $2,400.

"I want people to just be able to get the treatment they need," Less said. "It's to help us to live through cancer."

Proceeds raised through this year's walk will be used to purchase intensity modulated radiation therapy, the most up-to-date radiation therapy technology for patients with malignant tumors, at Brockton Hospital.

"It will provide more accurate treatment delivery and research has shown it can reduce side effects to the patient," said Dr. Mark Vasa, chief of radiation therapy at Brockton Hospital.

This year's walk will feature New England Patriot Je'Rod Cherry, who will be on hand with his three Super Bowl championship rings.

Source

Werbung:
Back