• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Wet-comb Better Against Head Lice

Tia

t is something that every child dreads - the discovery that they have nits and the chemical treatments and vigorous combing regime that follows.

Research, published in the British Medical Journal, might now help parents decide which treatment is best, sparing youngsters from a double dose of hair-related torture.

The researchers found that a method of fine-combing wet hair using a special "bug- busting" kit was more effective than over-the-counter chemical treatments to combat head lice. Head lice are parasites that usually infect the scalps of children, quickly spreading around schools and playgroups.

The treatments available to parents trying to rid their youngsters of the unwanted visitors include insecticide products and a very fine-toothed comb in the Bug Buster Kit. But chemical resistance has meant insecticide products are not always effective, while the wet-combing technique is unproved as a treatment.

The researchers, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, studied 126 young people infested with head lice. Of these, 56 were asked to use the Bug Buster combing kit, while 70 used insecticide treatments. The presence of head lice was then assessed after treatment was completed.

The researchers found that the fine-combing kit was four times more effective than chemical products in eliminating head lice - a 57% cure rate compared with 13%.

Link... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1797

Werbung:
did you know that coating your hair in conditioner and leaving it for about 24 hours then combing it with fine comb is really good way of getting rid of nits.
but you have to use lots of it

Sadly this is a very common things amongst school age kids.

It's just a shame that it's regarded as being "dirty" etc. Talking from the way it was thought of in my school, I mean.

Originally posted by Singing Sarah@Aug 8 2005, 08:48 AM
did you know that coating your hair in conditioner and leaving it for about 24 hours then combing it with fine comb is really good way of getting rid of nits.
but you have to use lots of it
<

My sister in law didn't believe me that that worked until I bought a tub of really thick tea tree conditioner and got her to try it.

I'm now pleased to say she has stopped using those awful chemical based stinky lice treatment kits when the kids get them.

Werbung:
Ruby had them in year 4, it was a case of treating her and everyone else in the house, changing the bed linens etc.

The next day I had to use nit softner in her hair as well.

I then did the condition and lice comb every second day for about another 10 days before I felt comfortable they were all gone.

They're awful things and Ruby has such thick hair, it was a nightmare treating her.

Back