• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Vaccination campaigns suspended amid MMR shortage

Snowbaby

People requesting the MMR vaccine were turned away when stocks fell to "extremely low" levels after a mumps breakout.

The Department of Health warned family doctors in a letter last week that the vaccine should be reserved for young children. Catch-up campaigns, in which GPs offerteenagers the MMR jab because of a surge in mumps cases, have had to be put on hold. The MMR vaccine was introduced in 1988 and many teenagers aged 16 and over missed out on it as babies.

The Department of Health has spent the past seven years trying to bolster public confidence in the triple vaccine after claims that it could cause autism and bowel disease.

The claims have not been substantiated but vaccination rates have fallen to 80 per cent nationally and to 50 per cent in some areas, below the level necessary for full protection.

Although the department backed catch-up campaigns to vaccinate teenagers, it appears not to have anticipated the pressure this would put on vaccine stocks.

According to the doctor's magazine Pulse, regional immunisation co-ordinators have told primary care trusts to suspend catch-up campaigns for teenagers. This has led to warnings of a further surge in mumps cases, which are up tenfold in a year.

Health department officials played down the shortage yesterday, insisting that it was temporary.

A spokeswoman said the shortage had lasted less than a week and new supplies were now available.

Source

Werbung:
Having had 2 of my children have severe reactions to immunisations, 1 ended up in hospital with brain irritation, I'd just like to add something.

I strongly advise people to research both sides of the immunisation debate before deciding on what is best for yourself and your child.

Are they both ok now? It must be a very difficult decision for parents. On one hand they will be protected against illness, on the other, they could suffer severe reactions.
<

Werbung:
It's a hard decision for any parent - but surely any vaccination is better than none. My daughter had the MMR even though i was not happy about it- i'd rather she'd had the single vaccines for my own peace of mind.

The government should give the parents the option - that way there would be no complaints of high numbers of children being unvaccinated.

All parents want is a choice - which is their right when it comes to their children - and the government have taken this away from them.

And now their running low! Incompetency seems to be a recurrent theme in governments these days whoever's running it!

Back