• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Stomach Surgery For Obese Children

Snowbaby

Obese children could be offered drastic stomach surgery on the NHS.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) wants surgery and weight-loss prescription drugs to be options for overweight youngsters if their health is at risk.

Surgery would be an option for children experts believed had reached 'physiological maturity', probably around 15 or 16 years old, said Fraser Woodward, Communications Manager for Nice.

He added however that it would 'vary from person to person.' He also insisted the patient, parents and surgeon would all be involved in the decision.

Drug treatments would also be considered, but only for those aged under 12 if their lives were at risk.

The desperate measure, aimed at tackling the growing obesity epidemic in Briton, comes as critics complain of children doing less and less exercise in schools and the increase of junk food in our restaurants and shops.

During the surgical procedure, the size of the patient's stomach is reduced so that they feel full after eating small amounts. The technique involves either stapling the stomach or fitting a gastric band.

Nice insisted children would have to undergo a thorough assessment before being considered for surgery.

Professor Colin Waine, chairman of the National Obesity Forum, said surgery should remain an option for treating childhood obesity.

Source

Werbung:
Desperate measure? How about being desperate enough to actually feed your kid healthy food and making him play outside?

The horror.

I agree. I know kids can be fussy when it comes to food. But if they're hungry... they eat.

Parents should be leading by example.

I think it is totally mad...I have been obese due to having PCOS and the doctors have not given me tablets or offered me surgery(not that I would waant the surgery)

It is totally wrong to give parents the easy option(easier than having their teens strooping out at them obviously)to get their kids healthier because in the long run the teens grow into adults and think that it is ok to get to the obese stage because all they have to do is get tablets or surgery.

I agree with all three of you.

There are children that genuinely become obese due to their genetic makeup but for the others who are putting on more and more weight, well.... Children should be led through example and healthy eating starts in the home. Stomach surgery should be the very very last resort especially in children so young.

Perhaps this would be an option for children where this is an actual medical problem (I can't remember the name, but I know that there is a disease where yiu do not know when you're full) But these children are only obese because they sit on the arses and play computer games all day! Get up! Get outside! How could any parent let their child become so unhealthy, and then call themseves caring? It just doesn't make sense.

<
PP
<

Werbung:
my two pence worth

In the olden days , dad went to work and brought home the money, mum cooked the meals and made sure you didnt get out unless you ate all your food up , if you mucked around , you knew dad would be in soon and you were in for it .

Know mums and dads are out working , either throwing money at the kids and letting them get on with it , or throwing something in the micro, or phoning up a take-away, time for the kids have gone out the window, its all about making money,,,,how sad

Back