• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Pregnancy Research Wins 2005 Young Scientist Award

Snowbaby

CHRISTINE White's account of her research into how poor communication between a human embryo and its mother's womb may prevent successful pregnancy has won her the 2005 Young Scientist of the Year Award.

The researcher from Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne will work in The Australian's newsroom in Sydney and at The Times in London as part of her award, presented by The Australian and British Council Australia.

The 2005 Young Scientist of the Year Award is presented by The Australian and British Council Australia with the aim of enabling scientists to communicate more effectively with journalists and the general public throughout their research career. It also encourages intellectual and cultural dialogue between Australia and the UK.

Entrants had to write an original news story about their research, not to exceed 550 words and in a style suitable for publication in The Australian.

"I'm excited by the award, and hope I can use it to rekindle my writing skills and give me the opportunity to show the wider community what is so exciting about medical research," Christine says.

Christine, 27, and her colleagues have discovered that the growth factor interleukin-11 plays a critical role in enabling an embryo to successfully implant in its mother's womb.

"Some 30 per cent of pregnancies miscarry because the embryo fails to successfully implant in the womb," said Christine. "We discovered that interleukin-11 turns a series of genes on and off in the cells lining the womb."

Source

Werbung:
Back