• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Depression - Information

All this happens to me..too
<

* Depressed mood
* Loss of interest and enjoyment
* Reduced concentration and attention
* Reduced self-esteem and self-confidence
* Ideas of guilt and unworthiness (even in a mild type of episode)
* Bleak and pessimistic views of the future
* Ideas or acts of self-harm or suicide
* Disturbed sleep
* Diminished appetite

Werbung:
i get 'depressed' when the seasons change form winter to summer and summer to winter. I love both seasons. but get really down when the nights start getting longer/shorter. i have trouble sleeping and get really snappy and stressed. :S this has happened every year for about 6 now
<

The best thing to do is to check in with your doctor. We are here for support and discussion, but nothing on here is considered as advice.

<

Thought I'd update that list of indicators of depression. This is straight from the DSM IV, the psychological diagnostic book that distinguishes various mental disorders, though, like Snowy said, this stuff shouldn't be taken as the be-all end-all. There is a lot more to it than just these things and the DSM is only used as a beginning point. If you're feeling this way or recognise the symptoms in someone else, try to get some help. Really. These are symptoms of a MAJOR DEPRESSIVE EPISODE meaning its as bad as it can possibly get. An episode is different from a disorder though because if it's a disorder, it keeps occurring, with bouts of feeling relatively normal and on top of things.

A. Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

Note: Do note include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.

(1) depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.

(2) markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)

(3) significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.

(4) insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

(5) psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)

(6) fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

(7) feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)

(8) diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)

(9) recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide

Depression doesn't always mean a low mood though - it can be a sullen, aggressive one depending on the person. My lecturer has some tricks for dealing that I will hopefully consult him for next week sometime :).

Remember, talk to someone, anyone. Go to a counsellor/psychologist. Talking does help.

I suffer depression too.. Even though I am just 12 at the moment..
I've faced some relationship problems in my life which turned my life into total chaos.. But now that it's all over, I feel much better. But I believe I can never ever forget what has happened to me... :no: :bahh:

My Story... =(

Depression is very common and affects as many as 1 in 8 people in their teen years. Depression is a critical state of physical and psychological state of human.Depression changes how you think and feel, and also affects your social behavior and sense of physical well-being.The results of a small study suggest that yoga may be helpful to depression.

I have been depressed before. I finally went to my doctor because I was so tired of crying all the time and feeling bad. She put me one some pills and I took them for a while. I have been off them for about seven years. On days I feel myself reverting back, but I think of all the good times I have had and how lucky I am to have my life and things seem to turn up.

I have had trouble with depression on and off throughout my life. The answer for severe depression is usually a combination of psychological therapy and meds.

It was right that we could not force (to the maximum level) a person to get help if she does not want it at all. And worse if she was not accepting the fact that there is a problem and she needs help.
Better to really talk to someone if you have depression or even feeling lonely, sad and angry. Telling your feeling to friends and family can help me you feel better within yourself. It should be spoken out or it will just grow deeper inside you. Being a positive thinker could also help avoid being too depressed easily since you will think that there will be hope.

Certain tools can help with the feelings or lack thereof related to depression....

One is music. There are studies showing that certain music, especially certain classical music (think Mozart and Bach here...) are really good in helping the brain find a new balance.

Serotonin that is linked to depression, is actually mainly in the gut...there is more in the gut than in the brain, so what you eat can really impact your mental health.

There is a great book on this called Optimum Nutrition for the Mind by Patrick Holford. There are guides as to the proper foods etc, all based on sound chemical processes...

Also exercise elevates mood. Yoga pulled me out of hell, years ago, by forcing me to be present in the moment.

Using one or more of these tools and others mentioned on this thread will make depression a thing of the past in no time. It is often a learning curve, a painful one, but a curve nonetheless. There is always hope, always a new beginning hiding within the darkness.

I have been depressed before. I generally feel better with exercise and eating right. I have used a Shrink, after my husband left me for a 20 year old he met online!! I gained weight. I am back on track with a healthy balance!

I think it so important to spread awareness about depression and any other mental health issue. I struggle with depression and social anxiety, and went untreated for many years because I didn't realize I actually had a mental health issue. I really just thought I was a very flawed person and that was the reason I was struggling so much. My biggest recommendation is to join a cognitive behavioral therapy group or even just read a book like 'Mind over Mood' if a group seems too daunting. It really helps you change the negative cycle of thinking and create more balanced & healthy thoughts. Beyond that, exercise and eating healthy makes me feel significantly better. It isn't always the easiest road because it can seem impossible to motivate yourself when you feel down, but in the long run it really helps improve and stabilize your mood. I could write a novel on this topic based on my own experiences. But I especially want the younger girls on this forum who are struggling with depression, to not be ashamed of their mental health issues or be scared to get help. I really wish I would have gotten help much sooner.

Werbung:
I think depression is a really insidious problem. Everybody feels like they have to act so happy and smiley and chirpy all the time, especially with all those ads and billboards everywhere with serene/smiling/perfect models on 'em... And if you feel like you're the only one, it can really drag you down. Just remember that you aren't alone - a LOT of people feel that similar emptiness.

Back