• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Cdc Urges "rodent-proofing" To Prevent Infection

Tia

To reduce the risk of human infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) from rodents, people should avoid contact with wild rodents, and if there is a home or office infestation, the area should be "rodent-proofed" and wild rodents caught and destroyed, according to new guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

LCMV is a rodent-born virus commonly carried by house mice, and the virus can infect pet rodents, such as hamsters and guinea pigs. According to the guidelines, published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, LCMV infection in humans with normal immune systems normally causes asymptomatic or mild illness.

However, contracting the infection during pregnancy can cause severe illness or developmental defects in the fetus. In immunocompromised patients, such as transplant recipients, infection can be serious and even fatal.

Since any pet rodent may be infected, owners are advised to wash their hands with soap and water after handling or cleaning up after their pet. The CDC recommends the owners watch pet rodents when they are not in their cages, avoid contact with wild rodents or their droppings or nests, and to never kiss or hold pet rodents close to the face.

Pregnant women or those with an impaired immune system should keep their pet rodents in a separate area of the house and have someone else care for the animal. "Pregnant women should avoid prolonged stays in any room where a rodent resides," the CDC writes.

Persons with symptoms of LCMV infection -- fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle aches, headache, nausea and vomiting -- should seek medical care and report any exposures to wild or pet rodents.

Link... http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_26150.html

Werbung:
Growing up mice were a standard pet for most kids, I was actually thinking of getting some for my kids.
Why is everything suddenly so dangerous?

Werbung:
I guess this will be a salmonella, and such like scare. If we believed everything we read and heard, we'd die of starvation, thirst, and dirtiness.

Not that I'm saying this isn't true. But it makes you think huh?

Back