• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Why do some assume that working at publix means you are troubled in life?

Ayane

I work in the deli which can be the hardest place to work if you don't have the backbone to deal with customers constantly at your throat. (People always bust our balls for closing certain things early but we HAVE to by a certain time or we get chewed out for staying late and people get fired!))

Let me explain about the assumption part though as I can rant about rude customers @ deli for ages.

The most irritating thing people usually point out to me, that I feel extremely rude is that, oh you have kids right? Or you are simply underage! You must be considering you work at...Publix!

Mind you I don't have kids, and while I look underage I am not. I feel like some people automatically assume that people who work at Publix must have some kind of financial trouble. I don't understand this correlation because I love the job. I have my AA and 2 classes away from my Masters but I chose this job because I think the hard work pushes me to be a better individual.

Anyhow when I hear this I usually just say I just work here to work. Don't have kids and I couldn't possibly work in the deli if I was underage - you know - slicers!

But people still question it.
It's not really a big deal, it just irks me.

Publix is a good company to work for. Sure they offer health and dental insurance etc, but that doesn't necessarily mean the people who work there are lower individuals.

Werbung:
Firstly, I'm from the UK so what is Publix, is it like a sandwich shop? And I don't understand why people would assume you are a. Underage and b. have children? Can you help out the stupid Pom (English lady) ha ha (Australians call the English poms)

Werbung:
Ah it's kind of like a farmers market / sub shop. Where I work people go to us and ask our department if can cut 1/2 of Black Forest ham or 1/3 of sweet ham. So we slice the meat to their approval. (Thick or thin.) we also make subs. (Sandwiches)

I don't understand why people make assumptions either. Maybe it's just the area I'm in. :)

Back