• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

The Book Review Thread

Well I gave up on The handmaid's tale for the time being, and Villa of Mysteries is on hold as well. I'm reading a big and beautiful book right now..I doubt that you've heard of it...It's called The fortress, by Mesha Selimovich. It's really something, but it's also very hard to read it..quite gloomy..at least the beginning. Someone once said that art can only come from pain. Do you think that's true? I think it is that way most of the time..all the master pieces in the world were depressing at least for a while (not only litterature, but also movies, photography, art in general)..

Werbung:
Well, a little update from me - I read the book, The fortress, and it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read...it's so warm, and human and real..and you have this special feeling of fulfilment afterwards...if there's any way that you can find this book in your libraries, read it..you won't be sorry!

since when did I read? no one knows cuz i never read!!!!!!!!!!!
<

I've been reading a ton of Douglas Coupland novels lately. He's a Canadian author and he's fantastic! I've read a few of his books and they're all been great.

So far I've read jPod, Microserfs, Girlfriend in a Coma, and will be starting on Hey Nostradamus! tonight.
<

If you like intelligent, geeky and humourous books you should defintely check him out.
<
Everyone I know who's read his books has never read just one.

I just finished reading 'A Quiet Belief In Angels' by JR Ellory, I really enjoyed it.

I have now started reading Atonement, has anybody seen the new film out for it?
<

Wicked Lovely is a book about a world where fairies know ans fey exisit. And they are not that nice. Aisliin sees the fey. She shouldn't. Know the high ones are after Aislinn. SHe has to find out why and stop them before it's to late. Be fore they take verything from her her sight, her grams, her Seth,. A story about evil faries, mortal love, clash of seasons. And either ways Aislinn's life and Moratlity will ever be the same.

My favourite books is Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, The Master and Margarita and Sister Carrie.
My favorite writers: Theodore Dreiser, Mikhail Bulgakov, Boris Akunin, Leonid Kaganov. I really like the books of these writers.

Now I read the book "On the settlement." She wrote Leonid Kaganov.

I just finished the Count of Monte Cristo last night! And man is it awesome. If you've seen the movie it's about this guy, Edmond Dantes who is falsely accused of Bonapartism during the time when Bonaparte has been exiled and King Louis is back on the throne. So he's thrown in the Chateau d'If for....14 years (because he committed treason) I think and swears revenge on those who put him there. the movie is more about long lost love (because he's torn away from his fiance Mercedes *sniffle*) but the book has more emphasis on his totally awesome revenging. Seriously, he utterly destroys them, it's so clever what he does that I want to read it again later to get a better grasp of the characters and the story. there's a lot of people involved and they're all awesomely interwoven.

I really recommend it, it was so cool.

I'm now starting Pride and Prejudice.

Also, if anyone has heard of Wicked and Son of a Witch by Gregory Macguire, I highly recommend giving them a go. It's set as a prequel to the wizard of oz which you would think is a bad idea but he pulls it off brilliantly. His books have a really melancholic, shocking tone to them so they're not particuarly happy reading but they're amazing. the first one (Wicked) follows Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West - Macguire created her name from the initials of the author of the Wizard of Oz - L. Frank. Baum) as she grows up. Macguire creates a complete political situation in Oz where the Wizard is a tyrannical ruler who is slowly removing the rights of Animals (animals who are sentient and can talk). Elphaba becomes a complete social outcast because she is a supporter of Animal Rights and joins a fairly...violent pro-rights group and joins an underworld as Animals become less and less popular and more and more dangerous to be around. Anyway, it's amazing and shocking and does a brilliant job of looking at revelent social problems in a popular, fantasy world.

Read them!

That's cos it's awesome Snowy!

Also, I gave up on Handmaids Tale too. I'm not quite sure why but I THINK it's cos it totally weirded me out and I decided there were ones I'd like more. But that was back in High School so maybe my tastes have since changed and it's not how I remember it.

PS Pride and Prejudice is coming along nicely. It's actually a bit funny.

Though perhaps you guys could share your favourite books with the rest of us.

Tell us a little about the book, title, author, little blurb, and whether you liked it!!
<

Let's see if we can entice each other into reading!!!!

This book I read, I absolutely feel in love with. It's a great book, in my opinion, to help get a person through a rough time. The title is called The Glass Castle Jeannette Walls. It goes back to when she was a little girl. She talks about her childhood and boy, let me say her childhood was rough. She had many struggles for her age at the time. The book is about her and her family the struggles that they as, well went through. The confusion Walls was bestowed. I don't want to give much away. It is such an incredible book that really took over my emotions. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. :)

Werbung:
From the beginning I like to read and watch films based on science fiction and so my favorite book is The Inheritance, by Christopher Stires.

The Inheritance is a quick, exciting read. Its less than 200 pages can be polished off in a single enjoyable sitting. It scores full points for mysteriousness, tenseness, and believable unbelievability. Stires takes his protagonist on an enticingly entertaining yet emotional rollercoaster ride of curiosity, disappointment, disbelief, sarcasm, and need – love and need, hate and need, rage and need, and justice and need. Just about any read can readily identify with this protagonist; if not directly with the individual, certainly with his decision-making.

Back