• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Happy Woman's Day Everyone!

merisplit

International Women's Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International Women's Day (IWD) is marked on 8 March every year. It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women. Started as a political event, the holiday blended in the culture of many countries (primarily Russia and the countries of former Soviet bloc).
In some celebrations, the day lost its political flavour, and became simply an occasion for men to express their sympathy and love to the women around them - somewhat similar to Western Mother's Day and St Valentine's Day mixed together. In others, however, the political and human rights theme as designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner.

The IWD is also celebrated as the first spring holiday, as in the listed countries the first day of March is considered the first day of the spring season.

Well, in our country, it lost it's political meaning, and it's a combined Valentine's and Mother's day..a day that should celebrate a woman as such, her emancipation, equality in society, a day when respect and appreciation toward a woman is expressed..so the men and the women themselves would never forget just how valuable we are.

Happy IWD!!

18_6_9.gif

Werbung:
I wrote a speech on Intertnational Womens Day, and womens rights last year. I'll have to try and find a copy of it....

Edit: I found it...

You may, or may not know, that today is International Women’s Day, a day to help bring change in the way women are treated in our society. Many of you may think that violence against women is a thing of the past, that arranged marriages no longer happen. That feminism and the fight for equal rights for women is a thing of the ‘70s. But sadly, this is not the case. Everyday in Australia, and throughout the world, women are abused, and discriminated against. In this speech, I will tell you about some of the atrocities committed against women, and why we need to bring change.

Many of the young women in the room are probably thinking about the Ball, wondering what you’ll wear, who you’ll take, how you’ll get there. Others may be thinking about what they’ll wear tomorrow, or how you should wear your hair. Or perhaps you’ll be thinking about your boyfriend, or that hot guy you’ve had your eye on for a while. Meanwhile, in a country such as Saudi Arabia, a young women of our age, is thinking about the man she will be forced to marry. A man who could be many times her age and possibly already has 3 other wives. Many of you complain about being at school, about how it’s a waste of time. In most Asian and Middle Eastern countries, had you ever gone to school, you would have already left. Already married to a stranger, with no future, except to bear children.

I have no doubt that many, if not all, of the people in this room have, at some point, had an argument with your parents. It might have been because they wouldn’t let you go out with that boy, or they wouldn’t let you wear that skirt, or because you had a curfew. But imagine living in a society where even asking to go out with a boy, or showing even a small amount of skin could cost you your life. In many countries, even being seen with a man you’re not related to, could cause your death. Every year, so called ‘Honour Killings’ take the lives of as many as 5,000 women. Many who were doing seemingly innocent things, like talking to a man they weren’t related too.

Some of you may have seen a show on SBS called Russian Dolls. For many people, this show is entertainment. But for the 500,000 women that are trafficked annually, it is a grim reality. Many people believe that the women that are trafficked are willing to sell their bodies to rich Western men. Many of these women come from poor countries, where the only way they can get money to help feed their families, is to sell themselves into a trade, where many suffer cruel sexual torture. Some may never see their homes again.

Many of you probably think that the revolution for women’s rights ended with the burning of bras. But while women in the West were burning bras, many women in the East were wishing that they could cast off the shackles of a male dominated society. Wishing that they could show their faces, wishing that they could drive, wishing for the simple freedoms that we take for granted. Many women in Western societies are happy to earn 75% of what their male counterparts do. Many women are pleased with the standards by which we live. But women still suffer in silence; for fear of death should they raise their voice. Many women are still tortured by their male relatives, for the most innocent of things. So I beg you to stop, and think about our sisters in foreign lands, and the suffering they must endure each day. And one of the saddest facts? In the two minutes it’s taken me to read out this speech, 2 women in Africa have been raped. The men responsible will more then likely never be brought to justice. More alarmingly, 8 women in America will be victims of some form of domestic violence. That’s 1 woman every 15 seconds.

Werbung:
Back