• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Parents that are too protective

Gabriellea

My friend is protective over her 26 year old only child son. She keeps telling me that she wants him to live near her forever so she can have him nearby. I tell her that's selfish, because he should be free to move, especially in the area that they live which is rough. What I say is that if you want the best for your child, let them move to areas where they have more opportunities, than to feel obliged to stay near a parent because they want it.

I hope she listens, as I have suggested he go abroad for some work experience and he loves the idea.

Werbung:
Most parents eventually come to the realization that they have to let their kids go. If you can do that, they will probably come back to you or at least maintain a relationship with you. It's really hard to do though. You never stop worrying or caring, even when they're grown and far away.

Werbung:
I think this comes natural as a mother. My kids are all still young, 5,4 & 1, but I think I will always be "over protective", I feel its my job. We want the best for our kids and want to make sure they are safe at all times, and that means coming off as being overprotective. While she cant force him to live by her, she can sure try! lol No one wants their baby to move far away.

Back