• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Having trouble sleeping at night

Sarah C.

I am having a tough time sleeping at night. It has gotten to the point that I am up all night, and go to bed about 7am. Then I sleep til about 2pm. I am getting enough sleep in hours, but I wish I could fall asleep at night and wake up in the morning. I know if I had a job to get up and go to, it would be different. But since I went on disability last year, my sleeping habits kept getting later and later. I have tried going to bed at a decent hour, but I just lay there wide awake for hours! Any suggestions?

Werbung:
I also have such problem. I find it hard to fall asleep even I am already lying in my bed for hours. And the result is I always sleep too late. I think it was related to stress or the schedule I had for several months. I just try to do some exercises before sleeping to help me fall asleep faster. Simple stretches and exercises might help.

The only thing I could suggest is to keep doing what you are doing by keeping a routine of getting to bed at a decent hour. Eventually, your body should understand that that time is for sleeping. If possible, try to fight the need to sleep between 7 a.m. till 2 p.m. By the time 8 p.m. comes your body should be dying to get some rest. This is a good way to start your routine. It is also helpful to keep your bedroom and bed for sleeping purposes only. If you lay around in your bed during the day, your body might get confused. Another thing you can try is some relaxing scents. Spray lavender mist on your pillow right before bed or take a bubble bath with lavender soap. This soothing scent should get you relaxed and asleep in no time. Good luck!

I also really struggle with sleep some days, however, I am getting it under control now. Lots of exercise and meditation helps me...getting and keeping my body cycle in its own rhythm, not easy to do at all.

I found this excellent and really comprehensive site page on it....perhaps it can help you too? http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm
It really helped me as it covered almost every angle, all the best in sorting this out asap!

I have no problem going to sleep at 9pm or 10pm every night. My only problem is that I wake up too early. Sometimes I will get up at 2am or 3am. What am I supposed to do so early in the morning all alone when everyone in the house is sound asleep?

Anyway, my husband had the same problem as you. He just can't sleep at night and would get sleepy only towards the morning. And since he needed to go to work, he'd be very sleepy when it came time to get up to get ready for work. Apparently, he had some personal problem and that was the reason he couldn't sleep. Now, that the problem had been resolved, he's sleeping like a baby at night.

Perhaps, you're facing some personal problem that needs to be resolved. Look into that and another thing. I think you should avoid taking naps in the day. Try not to sleep in the day and by the time night comes, your body would be so tired that you will go to sleep easily.

I used to have trouble sleeping at night because I drink so much caffeine during
the day and also, I had to learn to 'shut my brain off'. I would find myself lying
in bed thinking about the days events and what I would have to do tomorrow. But
now, an hour before bedtime, I have a mug of peppermint or chamomille tea and
sit somewhere in my house were it's quiet and meditate. This helps me to unwind
and not worry about the tens of thousands of things that I have to do.

I was like that, too. Try your best to be up earlier than 2 pm. Don't take naps. Go to bed at least around PM and have very soft instrumental music on. That should lull you to sleep. Even if at first you are tossing and restless, don't get up. Put a pillow on top of your head, and let your mind listen to the instrumental music.

Sleeping until late in the morning will really rob you of good sleep at night. Adjust your schedule little by little. Tired yourself in the afternoon to make you sleep earlier. Goodluck ^_^

When I really can't get to sleep no matter what I try, I always find it good to listen to ambiance music. With my satellite that we use it is called Zen, but I know cable usually has one called soundscapes. Any way, it is more earth bound than the music today. It is super calming. It is a mix of nature sounds with flutes and various soft music. I can close my eyes and feel the stress leave my body. It has never failed me.

Just want to share...my failure to sleep early now works to my advantage. I suddenly had a graveyard work which gave me something to be busy at. Other than just reading and watching, now I am able to earn from my sleeping problems. By 6 am, I am all done and sleepy. No more problems about tossing and turning in bed. hahaha

Have you tried taking melatonin? It helped my boyfriend when had problems with insomnia. But maybe it's just natural for you - it's like this with me, I'm a night person and I often go to sleep early in the morning. I'm the most active during the night.

If you haven't tried camomile tea, try that along with a good book to read before bed. If you are able to do any stretches or exercises earlier during the day, that can also help. Be sure to take deep breaths in everything you do (except eating and drinking of course) to get good amounts of oxygen to your brain. If you can drink milk, warm milk has an ingredient that can help you sleep too.

I've also had trouble falling asleep in the past because of my constantly changing work schedule, here are some tips I tried that helped me sleep better.

1. Stop taking in caffeine after 2 pm since it stays in your system up to 8 hours.. This means avoiding not just coffee but tea and cola drinks as well.
2. Do not exercise within 4 hours of your target sleep time. Vigorous exercise increases the body's temperature for around 4 hours and this inhibits sleep.
3. Turn on a sound machine that makes low level soothing sounds like the waves at the beach. It helps drown out noise that may irritate you and keep you from sleeping like an open TV in the house or a neighbors dog. My clock radio has these types of sounds programmed into it, check you speakers or ipod docks if it has that functionality.

Sleep tight!

Werbung:
You may have to force yourself to re-create your sleep schedule. You can try setting an alarm, so you get up earlier than 2 p.m. It will be rough for a couple days, but you should start to feel sleepy earlier and hopefully be able to go to bed sooner. Try to use your room only for a bedroom. Watch TV and other stuff in another room. Try to start a winding down routine that gets you ready for bed. Turn off the TV or music and snuggle up with a good book about an hour before bedtime. Some nice aroma therapy, only for the bedroom, may also help.

Back