• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Getting on birth control before 18

Quirky Jessi

How many of you got on birth control before you were an adult?

Did you talk to your mom about it and get it through insurance? Did you go to a Planned Parenthood or a similar clinic to get it without your parents knowing? Some other way?

Werbung:
I'm currently 17 and I've been on birth control for almost a year. It was just a "what if" precaution.
My mother brought the idea up (Think of that conversation if I did...). However, she didn't really talk to me about it.
We just set up a doctors appointment with a local OB/GYN and got it all set up. Insurance didn't pay for the shot.
I got off the shot after 6 months (2 shots). I will never recommend that to anyone. I'm now on a pill that I think insurance pays for a lot of.

I am 28 and have never been on birth control. Using hormones like that is just crazy to me. There are too many side effects for me to ever go on BC. I'd rather use condoms and spermicide.

No, I did take birth controls pills before I was 18. Even at that age, I didn't want anything messing with my hormones. I remember when I was a young kid seeing my mother get sick from taking them. So, I was not excited about taking them. Of course, they have changed and been refined over the years.

I am 28 and have never been on birth control. Using hormones like that is just crazy to me. There are too many side effects for me to ever go on BC. I'd rather use condoms and spermicide.
A lot of birth controls have few side effects, it just varies for everyone.
The depo shot had awful side effects in the emotional side for me and I switched to a pill.
The pill I'm on has very few side effects for me. Occasionally I'll feel nauseous like a morning sickness.
Otherwise, nothing.

Thanks for the clarification Epicfied. I have heard some crazy stories about the depo shot too. I am going to have to look into the pill soon. Things are heating up in Lucyville.

It definitely varies a lot. I have been on something like 7 different varieties of the pill alone. Some of them made me horribly sick and I had to change. Others, have practically no side effects and only have positive effects for me. I'm currently on one that is great for me and I hope it never changes because it's awesome in comparison.

I took birth control when I was 19 and I would do ANYTHING to go back in time and undo that decision. It messed up my hormones in a way that seems to be permanent. I'd never had acne as a teen and after going on birth control my face exploded in cystic acne. Literally a day or two after beginning it. I stuck with it for 2 years thinking it would get better and it only got worse. They tried me on different varieties and each time the acne got worse. It's been many years since I went off birth control and my hormonal imbalances have never corrected. I also now have severely painful periods and that never happened before birth control either.

In my country, it's quite easy to get the pill. You can go to any pharmacy or clinic and buy them but it's not encouraged for those who are not married to get the pill. I myself only took the pill after the birth of my first child. After giving birth to my first child, only then was I advised to take the pill if I want to space my children.

@Jesserotica - I'm so sorry that you had a bad time with it. :( I know you feel burned on it, but there are birth controls that would actually correct the issues you're having now. If there's an imbalance, then using a different pill to correct that would mean eliminating the issues you gained and getting yourself back on track again.

No. I have not been on birth control before I was 18 years old. I actually have never been on birth control because to me, it is not natural. I wouldn't want to put those kinds of things inside my body. However, I do not have a problem with those who do want to be on birth control before they are 18. If their parents are okay with it, I know it clears up a lot of other things such as acne problems. I will leave it up to my kids to decide if they do or do not but I will also let them know the dangers of both sides.

However, I do not have a problem with those who do want to be on birth control before they are 18. If their parents are okay with it, I know it clears up a lot of other things such as acne problems.

Are you okay if they want to be on it for reasons that are actually birth control? Like are you fine with them using it to prevent pregnancy or are you only fine with it if it's being used for acne, hormonal issues, etc?

@Jesserotica - I'm so sorry that you had a bad time with it. :( I know you feel burned on it, but there are birth controls that would actually correct the issues you're having now. If there's an imbalance, then using a different pill to correct that would mean eliminating the issues you gained and getting yourself back on track again.

Sorry but you're wrong. I've been studying the latest info on health and they are now finding that birth control pills actually kill off the good flora in the intestines, which with my condition, could potentially lead to my death. It amazes me that people trust these things that are clearly invented to get women hooked and make money for the pharmacutical industry... I was told the exact same thing back then. Oh, this will help with all your problems! It's a lie. Women get on this stuff, stay on it for years and then have consequences.

I was 17 when I started taking birth control. I had been dating my boyfriend for a month and I wasn't sure how serious it was but I wanted to be prepared. I knew my parent's wouldn't understand so I didn't talk to any of them about it. Instead, I spoke to a friend of mine who was already on the pill and went to a woman's clinic downtown to talk to a professional. I got the pills right away and started taking them. I even managed to keep up with the pap tests and everything all on my own. I feel like unless a girl has a good relationship with their mother, it's going to be an issue and they're not going to talk to them about it. This is one of the main issues with birth control and young girls - they don't trust their mothers.

Werbung:
No the first time I was on birth control I was 20 or 21 I think. I know that I was at least 20 tho. I was careful and had other things that I worried about besides boys when I was in high school. Yes I thought boys were cute, but I preferred to be with friends or working. I was on Depo for a few years. After my first daughter I was on a patch for little while and then nothing.

Back