• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Constructive Disagreements (and Arguing!)

Snowbaby

I'm sure you will all agree that all couples argue at some point in their relationships? Sometimes continuous arguing? I was reading the BBC website this morning when I cam across this VERY helpful exercise:

Preparation
Before trying this exercise it's worth having a look at the Guidelines for exercises.
  • Make a date in advance to do this exercise. It will take an hour.
  • Toss a coin to see who speaks first and agree who'll keep time.
  • Make sure you're not going to be disturbed.
  • Agree what the two of you will do to relax after your hour is up.

Each partner gets 30 minutes to talk, while the other partner gives their undivided attention. After the hour is up, it's essential that you both walk away and do something else - don't analyse the conversation. In fact, agree not to talk about it for at least 48 hours.

If talking for a whole hour is difficult because of other time pressures or feels too long for a first time, cut the exercise to 20 minutes each.

If you find the exercise useful, set a regular date to do it, taking it in turns to talk first.

Rules for the talker
  • You have to take your full 30 minutes even if you run out of things to say. Any silences will give you a chance to reflect on what you've said and perhaps move on to deeper thoughts.
  • Talk about whatever's on your mind - but don't turn it into a whingeing session.
  • Try to talk only about your feelings and opinions by starting sentences with 'I'.
  • If you're the second person to speak, try not to respond to what your partner's just said. You must talk about your yourself.

Rules for the listener
    • Try to listen with your whole self by giving your partner 100 per cent of your attention.
    • Show that you're listening with your body language: maintain eye contact, nod and don't cross your arms.
    • You can ask for clarification if you don't understand something, but not if you disagree. Don't share your opinions.
    • It may be hard to keep quiet for that long, but it's important to do so.

I'm not so sure about the get up and walk away thing at the end, I guess it is to prevent any arguing? You both have a chance to get your point across without interruption from the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Werbung:
Differences of opinion are normal and healthy in adult relationships and learning to compromise is a skill required in many areas of life. You might want to print out this page and pin it to your notice board to remind you both whenever a disagreement arises.

Before trying this exercise it's worth having a look at the Guidelines for exercises.
  1. Stick to the issue in hand - don't bring up previous misdemeanors or other things you've been meaning to say.
  2. Don't argue over trivia - for example, arguing whether it was Monday or Tuesday that you forgot the milk. The issue is you forgot, not which day it was.
  3. Start sentences with "I" - for example, "I felt annoyed when you..." rather than "You annoyed me when..." And "I would like to go out more often," not "We should go out more often."
  4. Don't use absolutes - never say "never", "always", "should" or "shouldn't". They're irritating and often inaccurate. For example, "You never wash up" will almost certainly get a response of "What about when...?"
  5. Let your opinions stand on their own merits - don't be tempted to bring in other people's opinions.
  6. Try to stay sitting down, relax your muscles and don't forget to breathe - it's much easier to stay calm if you're not pacing around the room.
  7. Don't start throwing abuse around - calling your partner lazy, fat or paranoid isn't going to convince them to see your point of view.
  8. Be aware of your feelings and tell your partner these as well - saying "I'm scared you don't love me anymore" is likely to get a better response than "You don't act like you love me."
  9. Try not to block the conversation - don't interrupt, launch into a monologue or expect them to be a mind-reader.
  10. Agree to a code word for time out - if one or both of you feels you're getting overheated it's best to take some time away from each other to calm down before going back to the disagreement.
Remember, who wins the argument is irrelevant if your relationship loses something. Always try to confront the issue - not each other.

Source for both articles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that but I'm not too sure about NOT reacting to what your partner says...how can you compromise if you don't make acknowledge what the other person has said?

But for the most part I'd say this is well worth a shot if they alternative is arguing a lot
<

actually this works. I have done it a few times myself. The not responding part is not exactly completely accurate. You do respond to what each other say but after a cool down period. That is what the 48 hours are for. That way you both think about what each other said and discuss with yourself in your mind why the other person feels that way. It helps when trying to come to compromise.

It is really hard to sit and listen to someone that long without saying anything but it really does eliminate the actual arguing. It took a couple of tries to get it right but it was well worth it in the end. And sitting and listening, most of the time you dont have to respond, the look on your face tells alot. and vise versa.

Then it wont work? One of the guidelines is that they HAVE to listen. Kind of defeats the purpose if you both aren't trying to make it work

I agree that people in a relationship argue, sure... but I can't agree with the "continuously" part... I'd seriously start to question the wisdom of the choice to get together it arguing was continual, I think.

if you dont argue in a relationship something is very wrong....me and my husband srgue but we let it go....but those steps deff could help <3

I think that this is very good advice. All too often, couples get into fights over stupid issues and the fight keeps going and going and going...those tips help to establish some guidelines.

It is normal to have the occassional spat. We all do. But if you are constantly fighting then no one is happy. I like the method above but each person should be adult enough to let the other person speak and have a fair say.

Constructive arguing has its place. Not everyone needs a guideline and many people don't have the temperament for it, but it can help some who are willing to abide by it.

That's so true, Orrymain. Things like this can be a great help, but both people have to be willing to give it a fair shot and some just can't do that. :-(

It is really too bad when one person can not give it a shot. I think that in fights you need to be fair.

In a perfect world, fair arguments would rule, yes. But I have seen so many people who "fight" unfairly and unevenly to where it actually ends up becoming a bullying issue.

Werbung:
I like those rules, I just don't know how useful they would be for me & my hubby. We don't argue that much & what we do argue about is usually really stupid, like what to give for gifts. Of course our arguments have never become screaming fits either. That would just be way to counter productive.

Back