• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Academics or Street Smarts

Dreek Lass

In school, getting good grades from the start is made out to be this massive thing. It is made out to be imperative. I was always a very smart child and always got good grades bar a few instances in math. But other than that, I did well.

I was told that I would be able to get any job that I wanted when I was older, and so whatever it is that i wanted with good grades.

After leaving school I have sen that if you know how to manipulate people or have great social skills or street smarts, then having good grades really doesn't matter all that much.

What would you rather have, academics or good grades?

Werbung:
I have an MA in philology and a BA in philosophy, soon I'll have the second MA ...and, to be honest, it really doesn't mean anything. It doesn't help me to live a good life. Of course it's nice to have a higher education but in my opinion social skills and self-confidence are much more important.

I have an MA in philology and a BA in philosophy, soon I'll have the second MA ...and, to be honest, it really doesn't mean anything. It doesn't help me to live a good life. Of course it's nice to have a higher education but in my opinion social skills and self-confidence are much more important.

A lot of my friends and my sister#s friends ended up going to university. They actually got themselves in a lot of debt in order to do the course that they wanted to do at the time, and now they have a degree that they have no idea what to do with, ans a crap load of debt to contend with at a very young age. Taking a look at them? I am VERY pleased that I didn't go to university just because there was a lot of pressure to do so. I didn't want to go, and so I didn't. A handful of my friends also didn't want to go to Uni either, but kind of felt that hey had no choice because of parental pressure and just peer pressure to do well in life. Now they are worse off for it, because they didn't follow their own guidance.

University isn't a bad thing. But it is not for everyone, as society would like to have you believe. It is not an accident that people feel like they have failed in life if they haven't been to university.

Other friends got their degree, and then changed their mind about going into a career in whatever it was that they had gotten themselves in debt to get a degree for.

I would rather streets smarts any day of the week. We live in a world run by people. If you have an advantage in that field, then it doesn't matter what your qualifications; you are going to have an advantage in life over someone that does not have streets smarts or social skills.

Fortunately education in my country is fee free so I didn't have to take any loans. It would be awful if I had a debt now.
Personally, I really love studying and I enjoy every minute I spend at my university. But is it necessary? Definitely not. I'd rather have great social skills and streets smarts.

Fortunately education in my country is fee free so I didn't have to take any loans. It would be awful if I had a debt now.
Personally, I really love studying and I enjoy every minute I spend at my university. But is it necessary? Definitely not. I'd rather have great social skills and streets smarts.

Really? Where do you live? I think that the entirety of the UK students would flock there. The government over here just keep raising the prices of going to university, and of course these people cannot afford it, so they take out loans, strive to pass - sometimes failing, and ending up in debt, which is worse than passing and ending up in debt. Your credit score is toast. So you are lucky that you live where you live. There were student riot protests in order to get the government to lower the fees, because after how steep they already were they were looking to raise the prices all over again.

Really? Where do you live? I think that the entirety of the UK students would flock there. The government over here just keep raising the prices of going to university, and of course these people cannot afford it, so they take out loans, strive to pass - sometimes failing, and ending up in debt, which is worse than passing and ending up in debt. Your credit score is toast. So you are lucky that you live where you live. There were student riot protests in order to get the government to lower the fees, because after how steep they already were they were looking to raise the prices all over again.

I live in Poland. It's really not the best place in the entire world but education here is good and you don't have to pay for it. I mean, of course you have to buy books and pens, but that's it, there are no fees. You only pay if you fail to pass an exam twice - which in my opinion is fair.
Free higher education is probably the main reason why we have so many students here. Almost all of my friends have at least a BA.

I live in Poland. It's really not the best place in the entire world but education here is good and you don't have to pay for it. I mean, of course you have to buy books and pens, but that's it, there are no fees. You only pay if you fail to pass an exam twice - which in my opinion is fair.
Free higher education is probably the main reason why we have so many students here. Almost all of my friends have at least a BA.

That is amazing. I had no idea that that was the case in Poland. Over here, if you don't work then you get to take colleges classes for free. I am not sure that you can do the same thing with university though. I think you have to pay for that regardless of whether or not you work. But if you do work, then you have to pay for your college courses. Same with medicine or visiting the doctors. it is not really fair to have people who don't work getting prescriptions for free, whilst the working people have to pay for their medicine. But that is law over here and so here seems to be no escaping it.

I like the way that Poland does it. It is a great way to encourage people to go out there and become what they want to become. It is awesome.

That is great that you can get a free education like that! Here in the US they have grants and financial aid, but typically students get out of college with 10's of thousands of dollars in debt just from going to college - student loan debt in the US varies per person and school, but students on average owe from $24,000 all the way up to over $200,000 after graduating. It is a shame really and that is why I never attended a 4 year school. College is a great thing and I would never talk anybody out of going, just it is quite expensive here.

Wow, this is so expensive!:eek: It's awful to be forced to start an adult life with a debt. It's just unfair. I strongly believe that education should always be fee free. After all, the more people are educated, the more we can achieve.
In general, I'm not too fond of my country, but I must admit that being a student here is pretty great.

Wow, this is so expensive!:eek: It's awful to be forced to start an adult life with a debt. It's just unfair. I strongly believe that education should always be fee free. After all, the more people are educated, the more we can achieve.
In general, I'm not too fond of my country, but I must admit that being a student here is pretty great.

Yeah it is unfair and it is getting to the point where most jobs require you to have some kind of degree. But yet there is no guarantee that a graduate will get a good paying position they are qualified for right away either. Kind of a crazy situation and I remember hearing something now that the rich were getting bigger discounts on loans and the people who couldn't afford it were stuck paying more. Not sure how much truth is behind it, I think it was on the news I heard that.

Yeah it is unfair and it is getting to the point where most jobs require you to have some kind of degree. But yet there is no guarantee that a graduate will get a good paying position they are qualified for right away either. Kind of a crazy situation and I remember hearing something now that the rich were getting bigger discounts on loans and the people who couldn't afford it were stuck paying more. Not sure how much truth is behind it, I think it was on the news I heard that.

Looks like we all should move to Poland lol. No seriously. Over here in the UK, the prices are just ridiculous, and growing more and more ridiculous by the day. How do they expect aspiring doctors to be able to afford the university courses? As for your point about most jobs requiring the potential employee to have some kind of degree, that is true, but even when you have a degree in something, they will deem you over-qualified for the job and send you on your way. The job and education world is a tough world. I am happy that I have separated myself from the education one, and that I only have my foot half in and half out of the job one.

Here, in Poland, most jobs require you to have a degree too, but since almost everybody have it, it's still very hard to find a job, even after graduating. Many of my friends are unemploed even though they have an MA and speak more than one language.

I think it depends on what career you want to go into. I do believe some careers a higher education should be required such as many in the medical field. Really I honestly think a good mix of both is the best and I do feel as if I have both book and street smarts because of how I was raised. If I had to choose I would choose street smarts because there are still many jobs that don't require a college degree. The only thing I wish is that some jobs would actually give time to train people instead of wanting them to have a certain number of years of work experience. There are jobs I've seen that required work experience but based off what the job required you to do, I think many could learn how to the job within a week if they tried hard.

I'm currently a student majoring in accounting and it may not exactly be totally required but I've always wanted to go into the business field and accounting does interest me. I love to learn and while some have told me you don't need an eduction to get a good job, many others have told me the opposite. Plus I think if you play your cards right and network with the right people, with a good major, you can find a job in the career field you want or at least one that will open up more doors for you. I've already had a few people tell me they would help me find a job through people they know because they know how dedicated I am and that I would actually do the job the best I can.

Werbung:
I think it depends on what career you want to go into. I do believe some careers a higher education should be required such as many in the medical field. Really I honestly think a good mix of both is the best and I do feel as if I have both book and street smarts because of how I was raised. If I had to choose I would choose street smarts because there are still many jobs that don't require a college degree. The only thing I wish is that some jobs would actually give time to train people instead of wanting them to have a certain number of years of work experience. There are jobs I've seen that required work experience but based off what the job required you to do, I think many could learn how to the job within a week if they tried hard.

I'm currently a student majoring in accounting and it may not exactly be totally required but I've always wanted to go into the business field and accounting does interest me. I love to learn and while some have told me you don't need an eduction to get a good job, many others have told me the opposite. Plus I think if you play your cards right and network with the right people, with a good major, you can find a job in the career field you want or at least one that will open up more doors for you. I've already had a few people tell me they would help me find a job through people they know because they know how dedicated I am and that I would actually do the job the best I can.

I agree that a good mix of both would be ideal , but this is usually not the case. One of them is usually more pleft brain and the other is usually more right brain, if that makes any sense. People tend to be really good in one area and a little bit lacking in the other, if my observations have anything to stand for. The fact of the matter is that we live in a world run by people, and to know how to work people is much more powerful than any degree or higher education. If you have connections, you can do what you want most of the time.

Back