• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Women 'get Blame For Being Raped'

Snowbaby

A third of people believe a woman is partially or completely responsible for being raped if she has behaved flirtatiously, a survey suggests.
The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk.

Amnesty said the findings were "truly shocking" and showed the government's policies on tackling rape were failing.

The Home Office says it has changed the law to try to improve conviction rates.

"We have made a number of changes to the legal system and to how the police and Crown Prosecution Service work, to put victims needs first and to make it easier for cases to get to trial and secure convictions," a spokesman said.

"We are determined to close the gap between the increasing number of rape cases reported and the low number of convictions."

However, the Amnesty poll, carried out by ICM, found that most people in Britain had no idea how many women were raped every year in the UK or how few of the cases reported to police resulted in a conviction.

Almost all, 96%, said they either did not know the true extent of rape or thought it was far lower than the true figure. Just 4% thought the number of women raped exceeded 10,000.

The number of recorded rapes of women in 2004/5 was 12,867 - up 4% on the year before - although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention. Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction.

Source

Werbung:
I heard this on the news this morning and to say I find it utterly outrageous, is an understatement.

So basically what they are saying is, the clothes we wear says it's ok for a guy to rape us? SHOCKING!!!!!

The people who voiced this opinion - have obviously never experienced or know anyone who has experienced the trauma of rape.

That is so bad.
Sickens me.
Like if someone is drunk or wearing something that shows a little skin they're screaming 'RAPE ME' at the nearest bystander?
Man that makes me angry.

Werbung:
Back