1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

What you think of "free huggers" ?

Discussion in 'Burning Issues' started by Roàa_Naffaar, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Roàa_Naffaar

Roàa_Naffaar New Member

I'm a actually a little too interested in it but my family thinks it's ridiculous, silly and "overrated". I think it just makes people happy especially the huggers themselves :ROFLMAO:
    What you girls think ? :D

2. Margit

Margit Administrator Staff Member

Aaah, I love it. What a wonderful way to show the world that there should be more fun and friendliness!

Eirini and Roàa_Naffaar like this.
  3. Trellum

Trellum Member

I like it. I have come across a free hugger only once in my life, it was a bit odd at first, but afterwards it was nice.

As a girl I received little to no affection from my mother, so that kind of contact was odd for me. But it turned out nice, some physical contact is nice.

4. Zynni

Zynni Member

It can be a little awkward. I'm not against hugging, but I do find it a bit off putting when a complete stranger gives me the kind of hug I expect from someone I've known for years. A quick hug, I'd probably just deal.

5. Seffiata

Seffiata Member

I experienced that once, it felt a bit awkward because it was the very first time it happened, but at the same time it felt nice. I think the girl belonged to a christian church or something like that, it might sound silly, but I heard a woman is making a living off hugging people! So yeah, apparently there are people out there who enjoy being hugged and cuddled, I think this woman offers a cuddling package as well. She is from the US, can't remember which state tho...

So as you guys can see... there is a market for cuddling and hugging! Hard to believe, but I read about it in a web site some months ago. I thought it was brilliant, after all there are some really lonely people out there who might be in dire need of a hug.

6. Zynni

Zynni Member

I heard about that too. I have to say, it is rather brilliant. I could have made a fortune if I had thought of it, lol.

I do think it's a bit... weird, at the same time. I'd hate to think that people actually have to pay someone to hug them. Warm, gentle, human contact is so important though. I guess they are getting what they need.

7. Gabriellea

Gabriellea Active Member

This maybe a culture thing, but hugging is quite personal and I don't hug anyone unless I know them. Even then it has to be someone I am comfortable with. Being British, not that many hug, unless you know them or have met them before. Some people are more comfortable doing this than others, but I don't think people should assume everyone wants a hug, even if they need one.

8. Nieris

Nieris New Member

I'm with Gabriellea. I'm not totally comfortable hugging my friends, much less strangers on the street!

9. Zynni

Zynni Member

Yeah, I have to admit, I'd be a bit put off by a hugging stranger. I'm friendly, but not that friendly, haha. I mean, I'm happy to talk to people and such, but I'm not big on having strangers touch me, especially just a random encounter. I have had people ask if they could give me a hug. It kind of puts you on the spot.

Nieris likes this.
  10. Nieris

Nieris New Member

Doesn't it, tho!? It's frustrating, to me at least, because I have no clue how to say "no" without sounding rude or offensive. It's not that I'm unfriendly, I just don't think "friendly" requires excessive bodily contact!

11. Zynni

Zynni Member

Right? I can be friendly and still retain my personal space. I don't want to be rude either, so I usually end up giving one of those quick "half hugs" and moving on.

12. KelsieDee

KelsieDee New Member

I personally wouldn't do it because people are weirdos. I wouldn't feel comfortable hugging strangers. You don't know what everyone's intentions are so you have to be careful. I just don't think it's a safe thing to do.

13. GoSenseless

GoSenseless Member

I'm very uncomfortable around people, especially strangers. But mostly because I don't know how to approach them and I always second-guess myself and then deem the whole deed not important etc. However, free hugs are a clear statement, and I'd probably feel less anxious giving them away without discriminating than trying to start a conversation with someone on the street!

14. SassyPrincess

SassyPrincess Member

To be honest, I love hugging and cuddling with my friends and family so I don't mind those "free huggers" that much :LOL:. BUT it does feel kind of uncomfortable sometimes.