• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

What is the best relationship advice you ever received?

Zynni

I've read magazines, books, etc. I've talked to friends. The best relationship advice I got was from my mom, and it was about good communication. Honest communication may well be the most important thing in relationships.

What do you think is most important? What was your best advice?

Werbung:
It was a quote I read, one time. "It is better to be kind, than to be right."

I find it hard sometimes when we fight to remember that my SO is my partner, not my enemy. I feel like he's attacking me; and like I have so much to prove, to prove that I'm right. It drives a lot of tension. To be able to step back a little from this -- to remind myself I'm not there to punish him or myself -- has helped.

The best advice I had was from a friend when I split from an ex who told me in time it will get less painful and it does. Another bit of advice which I now pass on to others is you learn what you don't want in a relationship when it ends and that helps you know what you do need and deserve.

When I graduated from college, my mom gave me a piece of advice. She said that if a man is truly in love with you, he will show it to you in the most simplest of things. He may not shower you with material gifts, but he will honor you by respecting your ideas, carry your bag for you, pick you up from the airport even if he has to drive a thousand miles, he will always find a way to be with you.

I am recently married and got a lot of advice before marriage. Though me and my husband have been together for about 6 years, it was great to hear most of it. Here is the advice I think was best:
-Treat your man like the kind of guy you want him to be. When you think about what kind of husband, father, or even boyfriend you want, treat him like he is that one. If you treat him like he's an idiot, you'll get an idiot.

I think this is really true and so many stories of girls who let guys act horribly and begin to expect them to act that way and create a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have a friend who used to have her husband share chores but she decided he was no good at them so she took them over. If she had instead helped him learn how to clean correctly she'd be much happier and he wouldn't feel incompetent!

I am recently married and got a lot of advice before marriage. Though me and my husband have been together for about 6 years, it was great to hear most of it. Here is the advice I think was best:
-Treat your man like the kind of guy you want him to be. When you think about what kind of husband, father, or even boyfriend you want, treat him like he is that one. If you treat him like he's an idiot, you'll get an idiot.

I think this is really true and so many stories of girls who let guys act horribly and begin to expect them to act that way and create a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have a friend who used to have her husband share chores but she decided he was no good at them so she took them over. If she had instead helped him learn how to clean correctly she'd be much happier and he wouldn't feel incompetent!

Wow, this one is great. I guess it really applies to anyone though -- like, if your want your kids to be responsible and well behaved, always treating them like they're nothing but brats will not work either!

Have to start applying this to my life.

Werbung:
It was a quote I read, one time. "It is better to be kind, than to be right."

I find it hard sometimes when we fight to remember that my SO is my partner, not my enemy. I feel like he's attacking me; and like I have so much to prove, to prove that I'm right. It drives a lot of tension. To be able to step back a little from this -- to remind myself I'm not there to punish him or myself -- has helped.

Ah, I've heard a similar one: "Do you want to be happy, or do you want to be right?" That one always gets me. I've seen too many people trying so hard to be right or trying so hard to "win" an argument, only to lose their relationships. I mean, when something is important, yeah, you have to stand up, but when it's trivial, meh, let it go.

Back