• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Wal-Mart Gift Receipt Warning

Orrymain

For Wal-mart shoppers be advised that if you use gift receipts (those papers you give to family and friends so that they can easily return things), they are probably not getting the full value of the amount you paid. In California and Pennsylvania, investigations were done that showed customers returning products and only being given half the value.

Werbung:
Wow, that is crazy! Thank you for sharing this Orrymain. I am going to keep an eye out for this. I do not shop at Walmart, but I have to wonder about other stores doing this.

That is crazy Orrymain! It makes me glad that I order the gifts online & have them delivered to the person's house, gift-wrapped if available of course. I don't really care if the person knows how much I spent on them, what really matters is the gift itself.

That's actually part of how they get away with it in that the gift recipient doesn't know how much the gift is worth so they don't even know that they are only getting half of the value.

Orrymain, thank you for making us aware of this. I have never seen the point of gift receipts, because if the recipent takes an item back they will find out how much you paid for it anyway (assuming the shop isn't ripping them off).

This is dreadful, will they be in trouble for doing this? Surely they can't get away with stealing money from people.

That is so wrong. I don't usually ask for the gift receipt. I like to hold onto the original receipt in case the person needs it. Many stores will take back an item without the receipt though.

Stores in UK are becoming much stricter about requiring a receipt even to exchange items. It is not a good idea to try to return items without a receipt because (if they agree to accept the item) you only get the price of the product on that that day and that could be a lot lower than the original price paid.

Lawmakers are looking into this and some lawyers are considering class action. Walmart is trying to blame their employees, calling it a training issue. However, the local station went to three different stores more than once, and the same thing happened every single time, so it's hard to believe Walmart is innocent in this. Some people are recommending making a copy of the original receipt, putting it in an envelope and giving it with the gift. It's a little awkward but it's the only way of making sure someone gets the true value.

That is not right at all. I would be ticked if this happened to me. Plus it makes you look like you cheaped out on a gift if they are only geting half the money back.

I agree Love2write, it makes the giver look very cheap. Hearing about this has put me off using gift receipts in future.

I don't really like gift cards because they limit you to just one store, I would rather give someone the money and thet them decide where to spend it.

For some people I like to give a present but for others I give money and I almost always choose to give them the money rather than a gift card. Money is more flexible.

Werbung:
Back