• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Traveling alone

Gabriellea

People always think a girl traveling alone is dangerous, yet I have traveled alone many times and have been fine. It boils down to common sense as I have met male travelers on my trips who have been mugged or scammed, so boys don't always make better travelers. Girls do have to be careful with what they wear in other countries so they don't offend, but being a girl and traveling alone shouldn't put you off.

Werbung:
Well, I've never strictly travelled alone as a girl, I think, but I do think I would get by -- my girl cousin travelled around the world alone and she is not worst for the wear for it. Hitchhiking alone can be a bit different story though, especially in isolated areas and long distance journeys.

Well, I've never strictly travelled alone as a girl, I think, but I do think I would get by -- my girl cousin travelled around the world alone and she is not worst for the wear for it. Hitchhiking alone can be a bit different story though, especially in isolated areas and long distance journeys.

I probably would never hitch hike alone or not. These days you can get cheap bus tickets and I would rather pay than take a risk like that. Usually you can get a lift to the station or something in a local cafe from a local, that happened with me where the owner asked around. In my case it was local who was about 70 and who kindly dropped me off at the train station.

Werbung:
I probably would never hitch hike alone or not. These days you can get cheap bus tickets and I would rather pay than take a risk like that. Usually you can get a lift to the station or something in a local cafe from a local, that happened with me where the owner asked around. In my case it was local who was about 70 and who kindly dropped me off at the train station.

I understand, and I would never advise someone to try it when they are hesitant and don't know what to watch out for. Still, I travelled in so many different ways -- roadtripping with friends, ridesharing, bus riding, train taking, plane, boat, etc, etc. And I can say that hitch hiking was my favorite way of all. It was liberating. It was wonderful. It was a joy because of how generous the people that took us were, buying us meals and giving us money so we could fare on the road, making large detours for us, sharing their experiences, offering us to sleep in their trucks, etc. I never had anything like it. I would do it again happily. Of course, there have been few moments where the experiences were less than delightful (getting picked up as a girl alone at 5AM being one of them), but when I was with my boyfriend, the "shady" people drove away as soon as they saw him. So it was a great deterrent for them!

Just saying this because of people who think only insane people do it and it's never worth the risk. Well, maybe it is dangerous, but I honestly would not trade this experience for the world.

Back