• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Preschoolers Imitate Parent's Bad Habits

Tia

Children 2 to 6 years of age pretending to shop for a party with their dolls are significantly more apt to choose cigarettes if their parents smoke and wine or beer if their parents drink, results of a study show. Children of this age who are allowed to watch PG-13 or R-rated movies are also more apt to choose wine or beer when shopping for a social occasion.

During a role-playing scenario with study investigators, one 6-year-old boy offered a Barbie doll the newspaper and cigarettes with the words: "Have some smokes. Do you like smokes? I like smokes."

When buying Camel cigarettes in the pretend store, a 4-year-old girl said, "I need this for my man. A man needs cigarettes."

Writing in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, investigators say the results of this study "demonstrate that preschoolers have already begun to develop behavioral expectations regarding the use of cigarettes and alcohol."

These data, they add, clearly suggest that watching their parents drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes may lead even preschool-age children to view smoking and drinking as okay or normal in social situations.

And while it's not clear whether these views will cause them to use alcohol and tobacco later on, the data provide "compelling evidence" that the process of imitation, which typically involves shifts in attitudes and expectations about the behavior, begins at a very young age.

Therefore, alcohol and tobacco prevention efforts, which currently target adolescent-age children, may need to be geared to younger children, perhaps as young as 3, and their parents, they conclude.

More.... http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_26964.html

Werbung:
Back