• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Meeting the parents

Quirky Jessi

When you're in a new relationship, does it ever make you nervous when the time comes to actually meet your partner's parents?

What about when they meet yours? Are you afraid they're not going to make a good impression or your parents won't like them?

Werbung:
When you're in a new relationship, does it ever make you nervous when the time comes to actually meet your partner's parents?

What about when they meet yours? Are you afraid they're not going to make a good impression or your parents won't like them?

Yes. The first time I met my beau's mom, I was dead scared because he came from a traditional Chinese family. Had his sister not marry into a Filipino family, I'm sure I would not have been given the smile of approval so soon.

It was nerve racking at first. But eventually, I came to like his mom and we would often visit them during Sundays where we eat family lunch together.

Usually it makes me extremely nervous - mostly because I don't like meeting new people, especially if it's important to me to make a good impression. But when I met my boyfriend's parents, it was different. I didn't know I was gong to meet his father so there was no time to be nervous. My boyfriend was running in a marathon, I was there to cheer and his father went there too so we met. And I met his mother when my boyfriend invited me to his place for the first time - we didn't know she'll be there, so I wasn't nervous either:p

Ha, well yay for not having time to be nervous!

Did it make you second guess everything afterward then?

I ask because I met an old friend of my partner's the other day and it was immediately after that I realized I was wearing his hat (a fedora, lol....he had jokingly put it on me while we were in the store and moments later, we ran into them) and no makeup because it was supposed to be a quick trip. I had to have looked ridiculous, ha.

Werbung:
Yes to both. And unfortunately my boyfriend didn't make a good impression on my parents when he met them. The nightmare road trip across American that I just wrote about in the traveling with your partner thread was actually so my boyfriend could meet my parents for the first time. When he got to their house he was still having his emotional issues so they kind of thought he was a jerk who didn't even care about being there with them. He complained a lot and acted like he was bored. Plus he kind of put down my family because they didn't act like his (which he thinks is the best family on earth and no one else could possibly compare to them). He didn't say that to my parent's face or anything and he was polite, but they still picked up on the vibe that he didn't want to be there. It sucked. Total nightmare, really.

It makes me sad, because we live on the east coast and even though he's now changed, we won't be able to make a trip back to my family anytime soon and I don't know when they will ever get a chance to see the person he actually is.

Back