• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Healthier substitutes for favorite treats

trishgl

We are all guilty of chowing down on unhealthy snacks while watching our favorite series or movie at home. The problem is, cutting the food out of our movie night just wouldn't be as much fun.

You can swap healthier choices though, like a home made sorbet instead of ice cream. It's easy. Just put 2 cups of your favorite frozen berries in a blender. Add a cup of water, 1/4 cup of pecans or walnuts, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and blend. Then add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and blend again. Pour the mix into ice cream cups and freeze.

If you like cookies then swap the chocolate chip with coconut truffles. It has less sugar as well as fat because it has no butter. You also don't need an oven. Mix 2 cups of pitted dates, 2 cups of pre-soaked pecans, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of cacao powder in a food processor. Make sure the mixture becomes smooth. Roll mixture into small balls and then cover them in dried shredded coconut.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Werbung:
Thank you for sharing the recipes, Trishgl! Home made sorbet sounds more than delicious, I'll definitely give it a try! I love desserts that are both healthy and yummy.
Usually, I replace sweets with nuts, dried plums and dates. An orange or an apple makes a nice treat too:)

I have a salty/savoury tooth so I like to snack on olives, gherkins/pickles, natural popcorn and dried peas. Sweet snacks I like to have on hand include gelato and sorbet (which is healthier than ice cream), pink grapefruit and mangoes.

Nice ideas. You can also substitute air popped popcorn for the greasy kind. Even if you add flavoring, even butter, you can still cut out the oil used to pop it. You can work your way to less and less butter and eventually not needing it all. Homemade popcorn is better than microwave anyway, and better for you.

Werbung:
Good to know! I also like to freeze yogurt for whenever I want some icy treat. That and knowing how to substitute fat and grease in baking is pretty useful -- apple puree is an easy replacement, nature yogurt, or a mix of linseed and water!

If you bake yourself, it's also easy to cut on the sugar a bit, adding fruits for example, and to replace a third of the flour with whole wheat flour without losing the golden deliciousness of the baking goods! Hidden health!

Back