• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Choosing a Name

kernow

How did you / will you choose the names for your children. Did you choose family names or were you influenced by film, books or television.

Werbung:
In my culture it is traditional to name after grandparents.. so i am named for my maternal grandma and my sister after paternal grandma... I know families where two sons will both have male children and call them after their father..

My niece, in a sort of mini rebellion against her mother (they don't get on) named her son Luke, after Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, which is her favourite film.... my sis was not impressed...

We already have a boys name picked out. The first name will be a character from a movie that we both like, if it is a boy and then will have my fiancees middle name. If it is a girl we will name her after my mother.

I'm not named for anyone. I can say that my mom had a specific name chosen for me, but after giving birth, she just called out my name instead of the planned name. She never knew where it came from or why.

We considered lots of things including what the initials would spell and how the name would sound if shortened. We wanted good strong names that would sound as good on an adult as on a young child. With our first two we thought we had chosen names that people couldn't shorten - we were wrong in both cases! With our third child we chose a name that would shorten nicely instead.

Stavy, we don't have cultural reasons for passing on names but we chose to name our older daughter after my maternal grandmother because we liked the name. However her sister was not named after my paternal grandmother, it would be a sin to call a baby Ethel!

I wanted to call my son William, it has been my favourite name since childhood, but my husband refused, my horse was already called William and he wouldn't let me name my son after a horse! We compromised, William is his second name.

lol.. it is all about perception justontime.. Ethel was a very popular name at one time.. kernow laughing at naming your boy after your horse...

A neighbor just had her baby and they thought about what people would call their baby if she were named this or that. It's like another friend who liked the name Michael but didn't want him to be called Mikey.

Orrymain my brother is called Michael and when he was a child my mum was fierce about no one being allowed to call him Mick. We call him Mike except when he is in trouble, but his friends have given him a nickname based on his surname, none of us like it but you can't control these things.

my sister hates her name (which I think is lovely) Katerina.. so over the years she has insisted we call her Cat, Cath, Cassie, Rina, anything but Katerina... she is half an inch shorter than me.. so i call her titch... :D

Love the name Katerina.
My parents gave us kids one of our grandparents names as a middle name. We did the same for our kids.

I rather like the idea of giving grandparents names as middle names as long as the names are not dreadful, I would never give a child a name that would be embarrassing or cause teasing at school.

Werbung:
Back