• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Any ideas to help with chronic sinus headaches?

dconklin

I have been battling chronic sinus for a long time. On the MRI years ago it showed the whitening in my sinus cavities and the doctor said that yes I have chronic sinusitis. I have tried many things to help ease the headaches and sometimes I have to break down and take the advil to make them go away. I try not to, but often I am taking it for the headaches.

Sometimes sea salt and water in the nose helps, but it doesn't always relieve the pressure. I prefer natural methods and would like to not take advil as often as I do. Anybody have any ideas? Boiling water does not usually work for me and neither does the steam.

Werbung:
My doctor advised that prevention is better than cure so he gave me these tips:

1. He told me to use steam but you said that did not work for you. Try it one more time but place some aromatherapy oil like eucalyptus in the water. Breathe deeply for a couple of minutes while holding a towel over your head if you are using a basin full of hot water.
2. Drink a lot of water. You have to keep the mucous membranes moist so don't scrimp on H2O.
3. Don't blow your nose too hard. According to my doctor that can push the bacteria into your sinuses.
4. Stop smoking as this increases the risk of developing infection.

My doctor advised that prevention is better than cure so he gave me these tips:

1. He told me to use steam but you said that did not work for you. Try it one more time but place some aromatherapy oil like eucalyptus in the water. Breathe deeply for a couple of minutes while holding a towel over your head if you are using a basin full of hot water.
2. Drink a lot of water. You have to keep the mucous membranes moist so don't scrimp on H2O.
3. Don't blow your nose too hard. According to my doctor that can push the bacteria into your sinuses.
4. Stop smoking as this increases the risk of developing infection.

Steam only temporarily works if it does (usually it doesn't for me when they are bad.) Water is something I am trying to work on. It is hard for me to remember to drink a certain amount of water a day because I was never in the habit of drinking water. I have started drinking a little more lately, but when I was younger I was always after the milk and the coffee.

I usually don't blow my nose only because it usually bleeds when I do. Not a bad bloody nose, but popped vessels kind of bleeding.

I need to figure out a way for me to remember the water tho definitely. My mom's doctor told her at least 8 glasses a day for her sinuses.

I was plagued with sinus headaches for many years and once they were entrenched nothing seemed to help except a dose of antibiotics. I tried every natural method I could find including drinking hot drinks of apple cider vinegar with honey, netie pot and steaming with minimal success. I did have some success with a spray I got at a store in India that was made with grapefruit seed extract. I was happy with it but once it was gone I was unable to find any at home here in Canada. I finally resorted to having an operation for a deviated septum and I guess that I had one because I've never had a problem since.

I was plagued with sinus headaches for many years and once they were entrenched nothing seemed to help except a dose of antibiotics. I tried every natural method I could find including drinking hot drinks of apple cider vinegar with honey, netie pot and steaming with minimal success. I did have some success with a spray I got at a store in India that was made with grapefruit seed extract. I was happy with it but once it was gone I was unable to find any at home here in Canada. I finally resorted to having an operation for a deviated septum and I guess that I had one because I've never had a problem since.

Years ago a doctor mentioned having them scraped but I wasn't sure about having that done. Back then I had heard of horror stories about the procedure so I didn't have it done. Still not sure about having it done but maybe if it will prevent me from having headaches all the time.

The doctors did say back then that it was no guarantee that I wouldn't have to have it done again tho too. I guess it isn't always the permanent solution.

As was mentioned above, prevention is the best course. What is it that you are allergic to? By the time you get a sinus headache the situation has already escalated inside of your head so identifying your problem allergens and irritants is key to getting them under control.

Because you are plagued with them so much I would guess there is something in your environment that is causing the problem. It is also possible it's something you're eating. Drinking water is going to be key in battling them because it will keep you from getting dehydrated, which is another culprit of sinus pressure.

Changing your diet can also help dramatically. Eating less starch and sugar will help as will eating more quercetin foods like apples and grapes. You can also try getting local bee pollen, this could give you some relief, as well as the drinking of herbal teas.

As was mentioned above, prevention is the best course. What is it that you are allergic to? By the time you get a sinus headache the situation has already escalated inside of your head so identifying your problem allergens and irritants is key to getting them under control.

Because you are plagued with them so much I would guess there is something in your environment that is causing the problem. It is also possible it's something you're eating. Drinking water is going to be key in battling them because it will keep you from getting dehydrated, which is another culprit of sinus pressure.

Changing your diet can also help dramatically. Eating less starch and sugar will help as will eating more quercetin foods like apples and grapes. You can also try getting local bee pollen, this could give you some relief, as well as the drinking of herbal teas.

The doctors have never diagnosed me with allergies and told me all about the whitening in the sinus cavities which is why he told me that I had chronic sinusitis. I wish it was as simple as allergies! My nose almost never runs, I rarely sneeze and maybe once a year get itchy eyes.

I eat a pretty healthy diet. Quite often my snacks even include fruit and vegetables. I don't like herbal teas, but drink green tea with superfruits.

His only advice (but this was about 11 years ago) was to either have them scraped or he would prescribe me a headache pill to take daily. I refused to take a pill daily and was afraid of having them scraped so I resort to advil when they get really bad.

I do have to drink more water daily tho!

My allergist recommended using a neti-pot or sinus wash. They both accomplish basically the same thing. You just have to be sure you are using distilled water or water that has been boiled. At least one person died from using a neti-pot with plain, unboiled tap water.

I have also had good results using the essential oil eucalyptus mixed with a carrier oil. When you're in a rush, you can rub a little on your chest or right under your nose. It makes me breathe easier when I do this.

A good cup of tea can often help too. I have purchased several varieties of herbal teas that are good for use as a decongestant. Just look in the herbal tea section of your local store or search for "sinus tea" or "sinus buster tea" online.

Werbung:
I've heard those things work great too, Lynnette... but Neti pots kind of scare me so I've been too chicken to try. Mostly it's because of what you have to do with them, but also because I heard the same stories about the deaths from using tap water.

Herbal teas are great when it's not a severe attack, absolutely.

Back