• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Antony And Johnsons Win Mercury

Snowbaby

Antony and the Johnsons have won this year's Mercury Music Prize for the album I Am A Bird Now.

Led by New York-based singer Antony Hegarty, they beat acts including Coldplay, favourites Kaiser Chiefs and hip-hop artist MIA.

The £20,000 award is for the best album of the year by a British or Irish act.

"I think they must have made a mistake," Chichester-born Hegarty said. "I am completely overwhelmed. I think that's insane."

The pianist and torch singer's winning album, features contributions from Boy George and Lou Reed.

Standing 6ft 4in tall and with a shock of black hair, the 34-year-old has a voice as unconventional as his looks.

The Mercury Music Prize was voted for by a panel of industry experts, journalists and artists, and is said to reward originality and creativity rather than sales success.

As he collected his award from host Jools Holland to a standing ovation, Hegarty said the competition was "a bit nutty".

"It's kind of like a crazy contest between an orange and a spaceship and a potted plant and a spoon - which one do you like better?" he said.

"What's really exciting about this night is just this wonderful biennial that shows the rich diversity of the spectrum of music that's going on at the moment.

"It's been so wonderful to be here and just to meet everyone. I just love so many of the artists performing tonight, I think it's a bit bonkers to just give it to one person."

He performed at the Mercury award ceremony in London's Grosvenor House Hotel, as did fellow nominees Kaiser Chiefs, KT Tunstall, Seth Lakeman, Bloc Party, Polar Bear, Maximo Park, The Magic Numbers and the Go! Team.

Source

Werbung:
Back